2004/12/16

Skin cleaner fatally injected into patient at Virginia Mason

Skin cleaner fatally injected into patient at Virginia Mason

A woman suffering from a brain aneurysm was supposed to have a dye marker injected to make veins visible on X-Rays, but an antiseptic skin cleaning fluid was injected, killing her on November 23rd. Both fluids were clear and in unmarked containers. According to the Institute for Safe Medication Practices, over half of the hospitals in America do not always label containers. 18% never label containers. There has been some good news; in 2000, 33% of containers were never labeled. A similar fatal incident happened in 1995 at the hospital when a 7 year old boy was injected with the wrong medicine during an ear surgery. After that incident, Virginia Mason instituted a labeling policy.
---
I wrote this for the scRambler last week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home