2005/05/06

I'm ashamed to call myself a Kansan

NYT on how Kansan fudies are going beyond introducing creationism, to actually changing the definition of the word science. It is proposed to be changed from "seeking natural explanations for what we observe around us," to "continuing investigation that uses observation, hypothesis testing, measurement, experimentation, logical argument and theory building to lead to more adequate explanations of natural phenomena." Notice that the term Natural Explanations is removed, leaving it open to creationism. Saying that "We don't know, so we're going to say some sort of magical intelligence" as an explanation for something is not science. It's mythology, like saying that the sun and the moon are chariots.
Also, I'm not one of those people who says that all research into how life got from bacteria to me should be stopped in favor of Evolution. If someone can produce a theory that has more evidence in its favorand doesn't resort to saying "We don't know, so we're going to say some sort of magical intelligence", I'm for it.

I would also like to take the opportunity to say that not all Kansans are like that. I'm a Kansan (It's where I spent the longest amount of time in my life, so I guess it's home) and I'm not like that. There are pockets of Kansas, like Douglas county that are very rational. My grandma is in her 80s and is fuming over this, as is everyone else in Kansas who has evolved past a certain stage of humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home